Positively Reykjavík

Spring follows winter
(so they say)
but not in West Yorkshire

Here
winter follows winter
followed by more winter
with a blast
from the last
ice age gusting in
for good measure

It's end of days weather
and the nights aren't any better

viz.
Armand the owl flaps sadly
from dead tree to dead tree
stalactites depending
from his frozen beak

The ghost of Sid James
stops its chortling
and retires to its shed
as hail pelts down
like Alex Higgins' fists
on a referee's head

It's absolutely Iceland
(and I ain't talkin' stinkin' prawn rings)
It's positively Reykjavík
(and I'm nearly out of Beechams®
After you bub with the VapoRub)

I'm being stalked by a mammoth
I don't really know what to do

I've been looking for a door into Hell
When I find it I'll step straight through

B.R. 30/04/2016


The Weird Girls. Photo by Hördur Ellert Ólafsson.
Taken from Iceland Review.

Comments

Popular Posts