Aire Valley Vignettes



I.

I once goosed a goose.
She wasn't impressed.
She stood there
Beaking me off
For five minutes or more
But I didn't hear
Cos I was listening
To 'The Swan' by Saint-Saëns
On my Walkmaëns.
I guess that showed her...





II.

I went on trial
At the food court.
Ronald McDonald prosecuting.
Jack "The Hat" McVitie defending.
I stood before Judge Finlay Fudge
And entered my plea.
It had to be "guilty".
Yes, I had eaten a whole packet of fig rolls.
Not just once but
On several occasions.
Thankfully, just before the jury
Returned their verdict,
A nuclear warhead
Was detonated
Over the courtroom,
Sparing me the
Potential embarrassment
Of a criminal record.





III.

I sat down accidentally
On a wasp's wing.
He didn't sting
Me or anything
As it was my first transgression
And his wife Tina worked
In Wasp Public Relations.
Later, I heard her by chance
On Radio 4,
Explaining how they were
"Harmless scamps,
The bee's cheeky cousins".
Silent disbelief hung heavy in the air
Like 1970s beaded curtains.





IV.

They drove The Queen around our town
So she could sneer at the peasants
That were lining the streets,
Waving their Union Keiths
(Union Jacks with extra beef).

She looked like a dissolute prune.
The Royal Window-Winder
Wound the Royal Window down
So Philip could flick his hypodermic
And The Queen could drag her corgi around.

B.R. 19/07/2012




Comments

Popular Posts