Rebecca

(for Daphne du Maurier and Andrew D Harrison)
 
 
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again...
 
...there was a wonderful Tesco
or was it a Morrisons?

 
Mrs. Danvers was on the checkout,
looking a total blaggard in her tabard.
She asked me if I wanted a 'bag for life'
then muttered something sinister about
there not being much of it left,
the cryptic old cowbag.
 
Curses! I thought.
I'd forgotten the Viennetta!
Mrs D. followed me
to the frozen dessert section,
whispering in my ear,
her talon on my elbow,
as I peered into the icy wastes below.
 
 
Look down there.
It's easy, isn't it?
Why don't you?
Why don't you?
Go on. Go on.
Don't be afraid.
 
 
Brrr! It's so cold down here.
Like at the bottom of the sea.
 
B.R. 02/03/2016

 
Mrs. Danvers (Judith Anderson) attempts to persuade the second Mrs. de Winter (Joan Fontaine) to leap to her death in a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's psychological thriller 'Rebecca' (1940).

Comments

Popular Posts