Godalming, 1927

1920s Surrey ...

... and after the tennis party,
I bounded in excitedly
through the bloody French windows
(I should have opened them first, admittedly).
I picked shards of glass
from my brilliantined moustache ...

... and there you jolly well were,
looking louche on your couche,
sleek and beautiful,
smoking a cigarette
like a dissipated panther.
I topped up your sherry
and pressed you to a buttered crumpet.
You said, "I say, are you making love to me?"
and I said, "No, but wait just one minute
and maybe I will be."

(winking suggestively)


B.R. 20/03/2015


(l to r) Henri Cochet, Eileen Bennett Whittingstall, Hilde Krahwinkel and Gottfried von Cramm. Just a few of the illustrious lads and lasses who passed through the jolly old French windows at Godalming.

Comments

Popular Posts