Mighty Zebra

for Rob

Looking back I see
Inside the avant garage
A herd of zebra
And you with your head held high

Ears erect, staring,
Chased by cats in porkpie hats
You were a leader
A noble soul amongst brats

I well remember
A party - you sat apart
And made notes like a
Modern day Samuel Pepys

Many memories
Which will keep you in my heart
Do you have to go?
It's too soon for us to part

Oh this pillowed world
I'll never understand it
That our herd should be
So cruelly disbanded

B.R. 17/05/2012

Comments

  1. What's this!Has Master Roberto George left the building??
    At school his close pal "Greening" always left me cold, and Rob and he hung out together. Maybe a memory of when I got called to middle school office for a ticking off, Iliffe's bag was getting a kicking out side the pegs by the coffee machine and for some reason I suspected of being involved.
    Rob was sniggering, I was watching, but it was "Jud" who was the instigator. Honest.
    Anyway my estimation rose when you developed a friendship with him, but i felt in awe...he was so fucking cool!
    Wish I'd gotten over myself back then and had a chat with the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a lovely chap, one of the brightest and wittiest people I've ever had the good fortune to know. I'm so shocked and sad that he's gone. But it has made me realise how important it is to stay linked to the people we've grown up with, and I have no stronger link to my younger days than you old buddy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts