cul-de-sac

 
 
 
A poem about post-Brexit Britain
seen through the prism
of smalltown smallminded shenanigans
 
 
I
 
Awakened from uneasy slumber
by an aubade of bells and angle grinder.
 
The starlings are massing.
Quorn cylinders quietly sizzling.
 
What a gay day for supping Earl Grey
through the teahole at the front of my face
while my wife stuffs yet more executive briefs
into my executive briefcase.
 
 
II
 
The Binman Cometh...
 
What kind of place is this
that we've come to call our home,
where the neighbourhood knobhead
uses wheelie bins as traffic cones?
 
He spends his days and nights
watching like a hawk.
He's a man who likes talking
to a man who likes to talk.
 
Take my advice and keep your distance!
Don't allow yourself to get too close.
After dark he likes to strut around
in long blonde wig and pantyhose.
 
 
III
 
Our community spirit is running low
in a town grown anxious and uncertain.
The time has come to twitch your last twitch.
Take one final call at your net curtain.
 
No sounds abound
when the day is doggone done
apart from muffled moans
from the neighbour's dungeon.
 
The things you find at the bottom of the bag!
 
There's nothing cul
about this cul-de-sac.
 
B.R. 14/07/2016
 
 
Sydney Greenstreet as Kasper Gutman in The Maltese Falcon (1941). "I'll tell you right out. I am a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk."

Comments

Popular Posts