People Will Come (Talkin' Modern-Day St. Simeon Stylites Blues)

Standing on a mountain top
in a loincloth old as time,
holding in my massive belly,
hoping that I'll catch thine eye.

Unable to afford fake tan,
I rub gravy granules on my moobs,
play Terraplane Blues on the guitar
and smoke a thousand happiness tubes.

You see, I burned my hipster clothing
when I burned all of my bridges.
Now I'm standing on this mountain top,
being eaten alive by midges.

Is the world ready for this
or will it leave me quite alone?
I remember the old wise one
Freddie Flintoff saying
"People will come.
People will most definitely come."


Epilog

The world sent word
via Wattie Widgeon (the carrier pigeon).
He fluttered lightly by my head.
"By order of the Burgomaster:
Stop. You're scaring the sheep,"
was all the message said.

B.R. 26/04/2015

The wonderful Silvia Pinal in Luis Buñuel's "Simon of the Desert", a film based on the story of the 5th-century Syrian saint Simeon Stylites

Comments

Popular Posts