Doubloons!

Oh, my hot-headed, hot-heated lady!
You're so feisty and so fiery
with your hair like a mane of roaring flame
and a cleavage entirely suitable
for the storage of small sweetmeats.
There you go, dipping into W. B. Yeats,
stashed in your handy handbaggery,
handcrafted by a coterie
of Venezuelan lesbians.

All the gold that I could hold
could not give me such pleasure.
But you're not getting your hands
on my special treasure!

I totally believed it when you said
that I was the only pirate for you.
Not just because there were no other survivors,
nobody on the island, save us two.

I've been a fool for your love,
a total buffoon,
but you're not getting your hands
on a single doubloon!

You thank me for the dinner.
(You can't sail the seven seas
without learning how to fry a fish finger.)
You tell me that my eye patch
makes me look handsome.
You're the kind of girl
that a man could hold to ransom.
They say "X marks the spot".
Come on, baby, now you're hot.

The rum is flowing
neath the Caribbean moon.
I admire your pertinacity.
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY DOUBLOONS!

B.R. 12/04/2015

Olivia de Havilland on the set of Captain Blood (1935)

Comments

Popular Posts