Roundhay Park

It seems so long ago ...
   Since you tootled around at Roundhay Park
   Since I pushed you on the newseason swings
   you and others whose parents were too busy
   smoking beyond the railings
   to pay them much attention
   Since I waited for you at the bottom of the slide
   and cheered each momentous descent
   Since I pretended that No the roundabout
   isn't making me at all dizzy
   Since I warned other children
   with my Paddington Bear hard stare
   if they tried to push in front of the queue

It seems so long ago ...
   Since I stood guard over you
   like a meerkat at Tropical World
   My precious ruby Joober
   My beautiful emerald girl ...

... and if ever
the happy chatter of the playground
seemed to develop discordant undertones
then we rode off
on our imaginary horses
full tilt
down the hill
and home

B.R. 20/11/2015

Comments

Popular Posts