Strange Man About the House

I'm a stranger in this house.
As unwelcome as an icy draught,
a rising sea of silverfish
or a giant woodlouse in a blouse.
 
There's no place like home
and this is no place like that place. I mean,
you look right through me
like I'm not here
and maybe never have been.
 
"This Ole House" sang Shakin' Stevens
and for once he was not faking.
This crepuscular dump is filled with strange kids -
I like to trip them up when I'm bored.
Sometimes I crouch down in the wardrobe,
surrounded by the other man's threads.
At other times I slip further under the radar
and sit stiffly in the petrified dinette.
God forgive me for snorting derisively
at such second-rate tins of biscuits.
 
This isn't my house.
I do not belong.
I've packed my bags
and I've already gone.
 
B.R. 02/11/2014
 
A still from Meshes of the Afternoon (1943), directed by Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid
 


Comments

Popular Posts