St Ives

As I was walking to St Ives...

...I met two young fellows testing knives
on the outsides of their thighs
and the insides of their wrists.
 
...I met a pair of zombies
clocking off at the end of their shifts
down the mines of copper and tin.
 
...I beheld the two-backed beast of Bodmin.
 
...I met a beached Rick Stein
making love to a bevvy
of underwhelmed pilchards.
 
...I escaped the fevered clutches
of a bearded Cornish hag,
forlornly borne upon the breeze
like an embalmed carrier bag.
 
...I met a hermit in a cave
trying to hide his pasty face
from the shortcrust-seeking beaks of gulls.
 
...I walked past bakeries filled with saffron buns
bigger and brighter than the Cornish sun.
 
...I passed Ross Poldark sat on a bench
clotted cream teasing
a besotted young wench.
 
Journey's end,
I arrived in St Ives.
I drank up my zider.
Night fell like a stone
or a man pitching down a flight of steps.
I decided to switch to beer.
 
 
As I was leaving old St Ives...
 
...I went to Barnoon cemetery,
overlooking Porthmeor.
I saw the ghost of Alfred Wallis
painting seascapes on pizza boxes.
 
B.R. 14/09/2014
 

 
‘The Hold House Port Mear Square Island Port Mear Beach’
by Alfred Wallis ?c.1932
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts