I Got Found Out

 
 
 
prelude
 
I saw my face on a wanted poster.
It was nailed to a tree.
It wasn't a flattering picture ~
taken from the 3B class photo.
I think my mum must have supplied it.
At the time I had Bell's palsy.
It was impossible to smile
and I shouldn't have tried it.
 
 
 
lude
 
I saw the suspect down by the pond,
throwing stale spanakopita at Stelios the Swan
while two lairy liver-lipped layabouts looked on,
their hands thrust deep in pitta pockets.
I decided to carry out a citizen's arrest.
"Come on son, have a word with yourself," I said,
"Don't make this any harder than it needs to be."
It came as no surprise. The game was up.
I threw down my Bowie knife
and Bolan's zip gun and came quietly.
Still, not being one to take chances,
I slapped the bracelets on, just in case,
and duly marched me on down to the cop shop.
(Well, blow me if they weren't having a sale!
Up to 50% off all labelled officers!)
PC Ross took me in and threw the book at me.
He made it clear as Crystals Gayle & Palace,
in words of one syllable or less,
that it was me what done the crime
as well as a lot of other misdemeanours
that had unaccountably slipped my mind
and if I would kindly sign the statement provided
then everybody could go home early.
Everybody, that is, apart from me.
 
 
 
postlude
 
I was tried by a jury of my peers.
11 angry doppelgangers and Henry Fonda found me guilty.
I wigged out in the courthouse.
"Prisoner at the bar," I said, "I give you 25 years!"
I was going to sentence myself to death
but counsel protested that it wasn't the 19th century.
Surely history cannot judge me
more harshly than I judge myself.
 
B.R. 13/02/2014




Comments

Popular Posts