2017: a caravan odyssey

This caravan has been all o'er,
from Mountsorrel to Barrow upon Soar
but these days it's a bit erratic.
Now it rests on bricks, quite static.

Look out my window
and what do I see?
Loose leaves of jazz mags,
blowing in the breeze;
a bored horse
scratching its Aris
on a post in't field above;
the ghost of a murderous scarecrow
and two pigeons making love.

Nothing worth seeing through the rain,
so I close the curtains again.

I'm a caravan man:
an immobile home to melancholy;
a compact, two-berth host to the most
grievous doubts and misgivings.

I look up to the ceiling
(roughly six inches above my head)
and cry out in despair:
Am I turning into caravan?

The voice of Lee (Van Cleef)
rings out clear like a shot:
No, of course you're not, you idiot.
Now, eat your corned beef sandwich
and bow down before Don Amott...

B.R. 17/03/2017


"The price is right and the choice is yours..."
Picture by B.R.

Comments

Popular Posts