The Ruins of Christmas

I've had enough of Christmas:
the collective loss of reason
during the festive season;
the endless enforced jollity;
the senseless consumerist orgy.
 
This year I'm going to do it.
Do what? I hear you aks.
 
 
I'm going to creep downstairs,
take down all the cards,
remove every last bit of tinsel,
kick the shit
out of a tin of Quality Street
and put all the stockings
back where they belong
(on the lower extremities
of my relatives).
 
Then I'm going to make a ladder
(out of ten feet of mint Matchmaker),
climb to the top of the tree
and bite the head off
of that damned fairy,
before pouring myself
a pint of Baileys
and trying to disguise myself
as a giant rough-puff pastry mince pie,
while waiting for the descent
of the red and white-suited
bi(North)polar buffoon.
 
I'll teach him
to empty his sacks
in my living room...
 
B.R. 20/12/2016
 
 
 


Comments

Popular Posts