What's in a Name?

A call has gone out
from Sunderland HQ:
Please send more Kevins!

I hear Swansea is down
to its last five Gavins.

The last registered Gary
was born in 1988.
The stocks are dwindling
down to nothing.
We simply must repopulate!

I was born and raised
Christopher Timothy Hall.
(My parents were big fans
of All Creatures Great and Small.)

What's in a name?
Is it my identity
or is it my destiny?
Must I behave like a Dave
from here to the grave
just to prove that I am free?

Picture Juliet Capulet
all alone in her maisonette,
waiting for the weekly visit
from her three aunties: Flora,
                                     Stork
                              and Vitalite.

One weekend I changed my name to Rock.
I ran amok like a psychotic peacock.
I started wearing a scarf indoors
and a moth-eaten old beanie hat.
Everybody called me "The Guvnor"
when they should have called me "The Twat".

What's in a name?
Is it the ring that holds the key
to my personality?
Must I always be Brian
until my time of dyin'?
Goddamn it, just let me be Me!

B.R. 30/11/2016


Picture by B.R.

Comments

Popular Posts