Guam

(for Shoichi Yokoi and Hiroo Onoda)



I dreamt I was back in the mangroves of Guam
with a picture of my mother curled up in my hand
Great greasy tears streamed down my Ricky Gervais
In my mangled mind I can never leave this place *


I don't know why the world has changed and left me here
Underground, out of sight and sound, year upon year
Soldier of misfortune; alone with my thoughts
Hidden from the enemy; they'll never see my corpse †


I surrendered my samurai sword in '72
At the time there was nothing else that I could do
Now I'm anonymous, sharp suited and sober
No-one has survived to try and blow my cover


The war isn't over till I say it's over...


B.R. 19/01/2014



Notes

* B.R. ~ Insert diary entry about eating venomous toads and setting eel traps here.
Editor ~ Or maybe even a song. "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Eel)" perhaps?
B.R. ~ No. That is a stupid idea.
Editor ~ Well pardon f***ing me!

B.R. ~ Insert description of skirmishes with residents on the island.
Ed. ~ Nice word, "skirmishes". Shame you couldn't use it in the main body of the poem, you lazy sod. And another thing, what was that line about Ricky Gervais? Bit weird isn't it?
B.R. ~ Shut up Ed.!
Ed.~ My name isn't Ed!
B.R. *sighs*

Comments

Popular Posts