Epitaph

When they come to write my epitaph,
let them say that I lived "life to the max",
eating raw sausages,
shitting in bins,
wearing my green Hunter boots
with great insouciance
as I strutted down the stinking back streets
of this generic town.

When they come to take a chisel to my stone,
let them not forget that when
the moon was full, I got on all fours
and howled like Hokey Wolf
when he lost his winning lottery ticket.

For you've got to take life
by the horns and ride it
like a mechanical bull
riding a pantomime unicorn.

Beauty surrounds us all.
We must not hide it.
A spike in my vein.
The light shines in.
Shooting stars in my brain.
A different kind of bin.

You may say that none of this
is living "life to the max"
but this is my life
and my name is Max.

This is my boss, Jonathan Hart.
He's quite a guy.

This is Mrs H.
She's goy-jus.


B.R. 23.03.2022


In his most famous role, as Old Holborn-voiced majordomo (and sexpot for ladies of an uncertain age) Max in the ABC TV show Hart to Hart (1979-1984)


Comments

  1. Jerome k Jerome brought me to your webpage but thank you for introducing me to this character. Vaguely remember Hart to Hart as a teenager, had no idea of Stander's defiant backstory - very impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts