Multitudes

 (for Walt and for Maya Angelou)


"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

- from Song of Myself, 51 by Walt Whitman



I am a woman, phenomenally.
I am a number, albeit nominally.
I am the burning pain you feel abdominally.
I am the ape-like snowman you treat abominably.
I am the story of my life - I feature prominently.
I am the story of my wife I write concomitantly.

I am Gordon Ramsay, gastronomically.
I am Sir Patrick Moore, astronomically.
I am a deadly disease, pathologically.
I am Mr Spock, that is illogically.
I am a can of Lilt that's drank erotically.
I am a tube of cream, apply me topically.

B.R. 13.12.2021


Walt Whitman (1819-1892) is among the most influential poets in the American canon, widely considered to be the father of free verse.

Comments

Popular Posts