Portillo #2

Came as Guest.
Now I stay as Panellist.

This suits me.
Because of Covid,
I have nothing else to do.

Soon I shall overthrow
this show
in a bloodless coup.

I started off
as a small luscious-lipped human
but soon I became a politician.

It went poire-shaped
so I reinvented myself
as "Man on Train",
traversing the globe
in lavishly appointed carriages,
like some kind of king.

What next?
Shall I ascend
to the ranks of the immortal?
Or be sent here and there
forever after?

(Cue Chris Kamara's ringing laughter.)

Or shall I be forced
to stalk the frigid dance floors 
of the Portillo Discotheque?

Pump up the volume
Pump up the volume
Pump up the volume
Prance! Prance!

B.R. 22/01/2021


Resistance is useless


Author's Note:

The Steph's Packed Lunch Effect

This term refers to the phenomenon where a guest on a lunchtime chat-cum-panel show finds that he/she is unable to leave after the initial appearance they were booked for, rather like the unfortunate dinner guests in Luis Buñuel's 1962 supernatural surrealist film "The Exterminating Angel". Furthermore (and moved by urges they do not understand), they must return for many subsequent editions of the same programme and answer all manner of questions and generally pontificate on topics about which they appear to have very little knowledge.
B.R.


To read my first Portillo poem, looky here



Comments

Popular Posts