Starburst (The Poem Formerly Known as Opal Fruits)

 
 

I
 
During the maiden voyage of the miniature surgical submarine
(I had been picked due to my extensive experience
of massive organs),
we were sailing along the vas deferens
when Dr. Graeme Garden's appendix burst.
What are the chances?
 
 
II
 
I took my cassowary claw hammer
and smashed the pink piñata
suspended from the ceiling
into a trillion itty-bitty pieces.
A hundred tiny donkeys fell to the floor
and ran off in all directions,
braying for blood and vengeance.
 
 
III
 
I dropped a ripe watermelon
from the top of a block of flats.
It landed on the bishop's head.
He couldn't get the damned thing off
(it was firmly ensconced on his noggin)
so be blindly drew on a facsimile
 of his own face, complete with glasses
and the addition of a pencil moustache.
Now he scoots around the diocese on his electric bike,
with his big green and red watermelon head,
pretending like nothing has happened.
 
 
IV
 
Every time
I pop a bubble wrap bubble,
a star in a far-off galaxy dies.
 
It's all true.
I promise you.
 
B.R. 26/06/2016
 


Comments

Popular Posts