The Ilkeston Symphony

I have made love to this whole orchestra
and found them all wanting
                               wanting MORE

Caressing the strings
Blowing gently on the woodwinds
and ~ where a firmer hand
          has been needed ~
Beefing up the brass
and pumping the percussionists

Once more with feeling, mon amour!
Oh, encore! I say, encore!

Never has The Rite of Spring felt so right
Never has A Song of Summer sounded so sonorous

Twirling moustache and pointy stick interchangeably

By pointy stick I mean baton
so expressive and so long
going on and ever on

From Mytholmroyd to Manhattan
They cheer my everlasting baton

It's half-past concerto
I think I'd better go
and lie down under this sheet music
neath this duvet of Boulez
and quietly compose myself

(Cue ondes Martenot solo, plaintively pianissimo)

Whilst I lie down
the world is tuning up
and turning on

Don't start the finale
without me!

B.R. 11/08/2016


Jack Harper demonstrating the allure of the conductor

Comments

Popular Posts