My Middle Ages

Oh to be
in the springtime of my life
with a green and healthy mind
filled with new thoughts
ripe and ready
hanging heavy on the vine
Endless possibilities
suggesting themselves
around the clock
instead of occasional ideas
lackadaisically popping up

In Derbyshire
when I was younger
I tried to walk tall
My back held up
when it was pushed against the wall
and my front and my sides
were relatively functional
but I have accumulated injuries
with my experiences

Here I am
a hop, skip and jump
down the track
A bearded bounder
floundering in my middle ages
A fellow of forty-two short summers
and rather longer Bernie Winters

Once the possessor
of a healthy body and mind
although I appreciated neither
I'd like to make a comeback
(cue Survivor - Eye of the Tiger)
but I can't really be bothered
Guess I'll slink off back to bed...


...but my memory foam
has developed dementia
It will not mold to my body
Like in a febrile dream
I stand and scream
at my mattress
"Don't you know who I am?
How can you do this to me?"

B.R. 12/07/2015


Roman emperor Justinian I. His armies reclaimed North Africa from the Vandals, Spain from the Visigoths, Italy from the Ostrogoths, and Shipley from the Massive-Moobed Mongmen.

Comments

Popular Posts