The Morlock in the Mirror (Night Shift Blues)

I live in the shadows like an urban fox.
A denizen of gloom. I belong to the night.
Time goes so slowly that it almost stops.
I dream of breaking free, Darkness leaping into light...

I'm looking at the Morlock in the mirror
And wondering where the real me might have gone.
Could I have died on this long polar night shift
And been subbed by this shuffling automaton?

Yes, it looks like me ~ same shoddy body
And the look of a torn scone on its face.
But the sadness in the eyes tells the story.
You can see that I have been replaced.

The undead march on till the break of dawn
When life flows in with the rays of the sun.
By 10 AM I'm tucked up in Bedfordshire.
Tired nature's sweet restorer must surely be near.

But the birds start singing
Then the phone starts ringing
The cows start mooing
Roadmenders start brewing
Some git somewhere is drilling
My next-door neighbour I'll be killing
If he doesn't stop gabbing
There may be a fatal stabbing
It's enough to make you weep.
I don't care what they say, I won't stay
In a world without sleep.

B.R. 11/08/2012


Unhand her, you villain!!! Martin Morlock carts Weena (played by the lovely Yvette Mimieux) off to his temple of beastliness in George Pal's 'The Time Machine' (1960)


Comments

Popular Posts