The Venerable Bede

The Venerable Bede came round to tea.
What can I say? He was one haughty mofo.
He fixed me with his venerably beady eye
and motioned me to the dinette.

Was I meant to roll out the red carpet?
We sat stiffly on high back chairs,
made polite but desultory chat
about theology, scripture, last night's MAFS.*

Then he said being venerable was thirsty work.
I took the hint, could see he was restive.
I made him the finest He-Man hued brew
and brought forth the sainted digestives.

He said he was partial to a Tunnock's Snowball
or one of Mrs Crimble's macaroons.
I said I had better things to do
than hoover up coconut all afternoon.

Oh well, I guess it could have been worse.
Mrs Schweinehund (at number twenty eight)
had to host an impromptu lunch
for "Call Me Al" (Alexander the Great).


B.R. 30.09.23

*MAFS: Married at First Sight is a British television programme where couples are matched "scientifically" by a panel of "experts", meeting just minutes before they marry.



A depiction of the Venerable Bede from the Nuremberg Chronicle, 1493.


Comments

Popular Posts