The Serving Hatch

(pours Kahlúa)

Nothing bad
comes through a
serving hatch.

One Saturday afternoon,
many Button Moons ago,
I remember my granny
handing me a cup
of He-Man-coloured tea
and a Blue Riband wafer

and the fact of
       the act of
her passing me
this small snack
through the sainted hatch
added an extra 50%
to my enjoyment
of the episode of Happy Days
I was watching
at the time:

The couch became comfier.
The Fonz even cooler.
The world seemed a bit better
for that simple, thoughtful gesture.


(fast forward to a post-Brexit landscape,
a dystopia populated by Neanderthals
dragging blue tattooed knuckles
across petrol station forecourts...)

It occurs to me that
what the world needs now
is a great big serving hatch -
a hole in the artificial wall
(that we are told protects us all)
permitting the steady flow of gifts
from those generous enough to give them
to those wise enough to know their worth

while the child of consciousness
awaits rebirth.

B.R. 27.09.2021




Comments

Popular Posts